Thursday, January 23, 2014

An Open Letter to Richard Sherman

Dear Mr. Sherman,

    You are awesome at football. You stated as much on national television. That is nothing to apologize for. If Michael Crabtree was as awesome as you, he would have been the one Erin Andrews was interviewing on the field. He was not, and your team won the game. Please accept my sincerest congratulations and my wishes of good luck against Denver.

   I understand some people have termed your words classless, tasteless, thuggish, all the code words for "I told you this would happen if we let the colored folk intermingle with us whites." It's crap. There are a lot of people like me who don't equate honesty with disrespect and we loved what you said. It was unfiltered and improvisational, but more importantly, it was honest and true. And the whole "OMG he scared a pretty blonde sideline reporter!" thing is overblown and foolish. Erin Andrews has seen worse, and besides, she did her part and she's just happy people are talking about her. You expressed yourself as a man in the moment and of the moment, and I loved it. I found your revelry in your own greatness inspirational, like Kevin Garnett after winning his ring.

    I've written on previous blogs about the no-win situation in which people of your stature sometimes find themselves: stick to the script and be labeled a bore and a crappy interview; say what's on your mind and have people wonder what's wrong with you. I don't think there's anything wrong with you, Richard. Keep doing what you're doing and pick Manning off three times when you go do that thing in New York a week from Sunday. If you make media day fun, that's okay too. Just make sure you're enjoying it as much as the morons who get paid to overreact to the things you say.

Love,

The Everlasting Dave

P.S.: As long as you're taking my advice, my mom likes your uniforms. So go ahead and win the game too.

No comments:

Post a Comment