Sunday, February 2, 2014

I Came Here Lookin' For a Fight

Whenever I walk into a room full of Magic players, I can usually pick out two or three people who are just better at the game than I am. I didn't feel that way today. Mostly because it was a sealed-deck prerelease, and I got to watch the guy I feared the most build his deck. After assuring myself that it was not good, I looked at my own card pool and- somehow- managed not to have paroxysms of glee. I didn't have to be a good Magic player to do well with the card pool I opened at the Born of the Gods prerelease, but being good probably didn't hurt. A little-known (and certainly not Standard-dominant) pairing of Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Whip of Erebos came up a few times. Doubling up on my seed-pack rare was pretty cool. I had enough removal that I left a Pharika's Cure and other kill spells on the bench and didn't regret it once. The worst cards in my deck were the Fellhide Minotaurs I played to have something resembling a curve, and those are fine too once you pants 'em up with Cavern Lampad or Eerebos's Emissary and get Whippy. I ended up taking 2nd out of 42 people, walking away with 16 packs and the playmat I've wanted to win for months. And as always, my victory song was playing as we drove away...


2/3 is my birthday, but 2/2 was the day for The Everlasting Dave.

My BNG prerelease Sealed Deck, in full (I'm only putting this on here to show what can happen if you get all the luck when you open your packs. Also, I will be coming back to look at this list before every limited event I play, to see what "doing it right" looks like.):

2 Arbiter of the Ideal
1 Deepwater Hypnotist
1 Flitterstep Eidolon
1 Omenspeaker
1 Siren of the Fanged Coast
1 Vaporkin
1 Divination
1 Griptide
1 Ordeal of Thassa

1 Cavern Lampad
1 Erebos's Emissary
2 Fellhide Minotaur
1 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Mogis's Marauder
1 Tormented Hero
2 Asphyxiate
1 Bile Blight
1 Read the Bones
1 Whip of Erebos

1 Siren of the Silent Song

1 Temple of Mystery
9 Swamp
7 Island

I'm aware that this post will mean nothing to most people. Don't care. I'm happy and it's my blog, so it's going up. If it bothers you, learn to play Magic.

....Super Bowl? What's that?

No comments:

Post a Comment